iOS 4.1, the first major software update to iOS 4 has been released on September 8 for the iPhone and iPod touch. The new iOS 4.1 Build 8B117 will have a file size of 300MB and above. Besides having the former iOS 4 characteristics, the new update brings a fresh and rich set of features listed below :
- Game Center : Social gaming introduced in iPhone environment which allows multiplayer games, track achievements and high scores comparison.
- iTunes TV show rentals : Watch TV show rented from iTunes store for just 99¢ per episode.
- iTunes Ping : Connect with friends and music artists with Ping, the social network from Apple.
- HDR Photography : High dynamic range (HDR) setting on iPhone 4 provides a wider range of light intensity by combining multiple exposures to single image, thus capturing quality photos.
- HD video uploads : Upload HD videos to YouTube and MobileMe from iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi.
Some common bugs of iOS 4 have also been fixed along with the patching of a number of security holes of the update, leading to performance enhancement of the device.
To update iOS 4 to 4.1 , the user has to merely get to iTunes (
www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/) and hit the update option.The update is absolutely free for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, and second-generation iPod touch or later.Apples new fourth generation iPads touch is shipping with iOS 4.1 already installed.