If you install apps only from the Google play store then you do not require a mobile security app as Google manually screens each applications before listing them on the play store, but then you must be wondering why so many mobile security apps exist? If you are an experienced android user, you should know that android allows you to side load applications from other sources other than the play store. You can download the .APK file from the source and then install it on your device. However, by doing this, you may infect your device with malware, as the source may not use an appropriate malware screening process.
Norton Mobile Security blocks malware and identity theft websites, protects your privacy, and helps you to locate your device in case of loss or theft. The app is available for Android and iOS. However, since iOS only allows apps to be downloaded and installed from the Apple store, Symantec decided not to include malware-defending features on it.
Norton boasts high malware detection rates for android devices. Recent test from independent third party antivirus labs like AV Test reports an overall score above 99% in malware detection. The apps Anti-theft features are similar to other mobile security apps, which involve backing up, locking, pinpointing the device on a map, and displaying a custom message. Unique anti-theft tools include sneak peek that allows users to take pictures using the device front camera and activating a scream alarm.
Norton Mobile Security’s yearly subscription is priced at $29, but until Aug 31, 2014, you grab a free one-year license. Follow these steps to grab your free license:
- Visit the Offer Page
- Enter your email address and click on “Submit”
- Your unique coupon code will be displayed. Copy the code and click on the “One year FREE Trial!” button
- You will be forwarded to the checkout page. Paste the coupon code and click on “Apply”
- Your total cart value will now be displayed as $0.00. Click “Continue to Secure Checkout”
- Enter your billing information to complete the checkout process.
- You have to enter your credit card details for verification purposes, but your card will not be charged. Make sure you uncheck auto renewal to avoid being charged at the end of your free one-year subscription.