When it comes to office suits, users often stick to the industry standard, Microsoft Office, but there are lot of inexpensive or even free alternative out there. SoftMaker is one of the best alternatives out there since it looks and feels very similar to the older editions of MS office prior to the introduction of the ribbon UI, and can handle any Word, PowerPoint and Excel document formats including the newer format with X at the end of file extension.
The suit includes three packages TextMaker, PlanMaker, and Presentation for handing Word, Excel and PowerPoint files respectively. The standard edition includes an additional tool, known as BasicMaker that allows you to use macros for task automation. The language of this tool is based on Microsoft’s Visual Basic for Application (VBA).
Softmaker office is capable of handling password protected documents, which is a plus as most of the other suits in the market do not support encrypted Office documents. The program is compact, the setup is around 350 MB in size and usually opens documents in a breeze. The packages include most of the components that you would need to create professional word, excel or spreadsheet documents, such as, tables, fonts, arts, images, layouts, themes, charts, custom text, and so on.
Softmaker Office is available in three different editions, Standard, Professional and Free. The following features are available in the standard edition, but missing in the free edition:
- Spell checking using high-quality commercial dictionaries in 20 languages
- Synonym dictionaries (thesaurus function) in eight languages
- Reads the modern Microsoft formats DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX seamlessly – The standard edition can also save in these formats
- Documents are displayed in tabs, just like in a web browser
- The extended sidebar gives you a bird’s eye view over your document and its style sheets
- Free technical support by SoftMaker
- Additional features such as envelope and label printing, macros, mail merge, cross references, and figure captions
Grab your free license
Visit the promo page here, and register with your name and email address to receive your free license of SoftMaker Office 2016 Standard, which would otherwise cost you $34.99.
You will receive an email from [email protected] with your free license key.
Download SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (334 MB)